7 Steps to Reverse Acid Reflux

September 22, 2013 | Volume 5

7 Steps to Reverse Acid Reflux

Acid reflux is a big problem.

44% of Americans have heartburn at least once a month. 25 to 35% have reflux. Acid-blocking drugs or what we call PPIs like Nexium, Prevacid, Prilosec—that little purple pill—are the third most prescribed medications in the country. Recently, I was at a medical insurance company, and they told me that the third most expensive condition after heart disease and diabetes for their population is reflux because of all the scopes, pills, and procedures needed to treat it. Reflux causes tremendous problems, and nobody is asking why. Why are we suffering from reflux? What is the cause? Is it something we are doing or something we are eating? Is there some other factor that’s driving this epidemic?

Getting to the root cause of reflux

In Functional Medicine, we ask, “What is the root cause of the problem, and how do we correct it?” For reflux, the root cause is sometimes very straightforward. It may be what we are eating. Some common triggers of reflux include:

• Fried foods
  • Spicy foods
  • Citrus foods
  • Tomato-based foods
  • Processed foods
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeine
  • Smoking

Acid reflux could be caused by other factors, as well:

• Eating right before bed
  • Eating with an already full stomach—which can cause the food to come back up.
  • Being overweight and having a big belly—which can push your stomach up, causing reflux.
  • Chronic stress affects the nerves in your stomach, making it impossible to process the food properly. This will cause food to go up instead of down. In fact, in order to digest your food well, you have to relax. So, breathing before eating is a very important tool.
  • Loss of magnesium, which is caused by stress. Magnesium is needed to relax the sphincter at the bottom of your stomach that actually lets the food go down. When you don’t have enough magnesium, the food goes up.
  • Food sensitivities that may not be diagnosed by your average physician, including gluten and dairy.
  • Bad bacteria or yeast growing in your stomach. If you have been on a lot of antibiotics, if you have been on hormones, if you eat a lot of sugar and processed food, you could grow bad bugs in your gut, and they ferment and push things around and cause reflux.
  • H. Pylori, a bacterium that affects a number of people in our population, can sometimes be linked to reflux.

So, there’s a whole series of causes, everything from what you are eating, to your lifestyle, to stress, to smoking, caffeine, alcohol, to bacteria in your gut, to food sensitivities—all these things can trigger reflux.

Correcting your acid reflux at its source

The key to solving this problem isn’t taking an acid blocker, which can cause all sorts of problems. It may give you symptomatic relief, but there are problems with these drugs. They may cause an increase in pneumonia, in bloating, in overgrowth of bad bugs in your gut. They might also prevent mineral absorption. You need some acid in your stomach in order to digest your food and absorb the nutrients it contains. So, reducing the acid in your stomach could lead to mineral and vitamin deficiencies. For example, a B12 deficiency is really common. If you’ve been taking an acid blocker for many years, then you can get a zinc deficiency or a B12 deficiency that can cause depression. It can cause neuropathy, memory problems, digestive issues, osteoporosis, and much more.

So, the key isn’t taking the drug. It’s finding the cause. Functional Medicine is medicine by cause not by symptom, and that is exactly what we do with the reflux.

There are some really simple actions you can take to see if there are any specific triggers that are causing your problem.

• Fix your diet. The things that are common and easy to remove are spicy foods, citrus foods, tomato-based foods, and fried foods. Simple.
  • Get rid of possible food allergens for a short period of time, like two weeks. Gluten and dairy are the most common ones.
  • Try to get rid of the triggers for a few weeks, like alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine, all of which trigger reflux. Not forever, but try it for a little while, and see if it’s causing your problem.
  • Change your lifestyle. For example, don’t eat three hours before bed. Give yourself a chance to digest your food.
  • Deal with stress before you eat. Try a very simple technique that I call “Take Five.” Take five breaths before each meal. Count in to the count of five, out to the count of five, and breathe deeply. You’ll notice a huge relaxation in your nervous system, and you’ll digest your food better.
  • Try specific supplements to help. My favorite is licorice. We call it deglycerized licorice or DGL, which helps to coat the stomach and prevent reflux. You can chew two or three tablets before you eat. I also like to use a glutamine, aloe, and licorice combination that can be taken as a powder, a teaspoon in water, 10 to 15 minutes before you eat. It really coats the stomach lining and helps you digest your food. Try probiotics, like Acidophilus and Bifidobacteria. Also, you can use digestive enzymes that help break down the food. Also, magnesium is a very powerful relaxation mineral for the digestive system that helps prevent reflux. Then, lastly, you can add something called zinc carnosine, which has been shown to help reflux.
  • Get tested. If you are still not getting better after taking these steps, then, you’ll want to do some testing, which you can do with your Functional Medicine doctor:
    • Test for H. Pylori
    • Check for celiac and gluten sensitivity
    • Check for food sensitivities
    • Check for abnormal bugs in your gut, bacterial overgrowth, yeast overgrowth, and parasites

So, now, I want to hear from you…

• Do you have reflux?
  • What have you tried?
  • Have you tried the little purple pill? Did you get side effects?
  • What have you tried that’s worked?
  • Have you figured out the cause of your reflux?

Share your thoughts. Share your experiences. Let us know. Join us in the comment section below, and you know what? I bet you’ll find solutions that you may never have thought of. Also, I encourage you to sign up for our weekly newsletter. Share this blog with your friends and family on Facebook and Twitter, and submit a question, so that next week, I may make a House Call to you.

Print Version

78 Responses to 7 Steps to Reverse Acid Reflux

1. Elle September 23, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

You know I know you are trying to be “on track” when you address the “cause” but I have to say all these things you mention also do not make sense. Did God say we have to watch all these things? We can’t eat spice, we can’t eat tomatoes, etc. I don’t think so. I think God just wants us to eat real, nature’s food, get our digestion right, heal our bodies and “then” we won’t have acid reflux! And we won’t have allergies!

• Zabelisa September 23, 2013 at 11:22 pm #

You are just speaking from ignorance. Most of us were raised on a fair amount of processed foods and additives and didn’t even know we were damaging our insides. We are not cave people, we get exposed to a million damaging substances on a daily basis such as drug prescriptions, pesticides, food additives of all kinds, stress, air borne and water born harmful substances, toxins, heavy metals, bacteria, parasites, you-name-it, etc. Many of these can hardly be avoided unless you live in isolation away from all civilization. If these things exist, God must have something to do with it… After all, isn’t he in control of everything? Those things Dr. Hyman suggest to avoid are for those people who have this problem, not everyone. They don’t cause the problem of acid reflux, they aggravate it if you have it. When you have dealt with the cause, then you can eat all that you want.

2. Linda September 23, 2013 at 10:35 pm #

Love this house call video! I have suffered from reflux and stomach upset since I was in my 20’s. I read one of your books about fifteen years ago and started changing my diet then. I have really made more changes in the last couple of years. All organic veggies, fruits and grass fed beef and very little processed food. I have eliminated dairy as well. I used to take antacids all the time, now I never have to take them. I’m 58 now and most people think I’m 10 years younger! Eating healthy has lots of benefits. I also learned a lot about functional medicine while studying at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition. You were my favorite speaker! I really appreciate your emails and video house calls. I forward them all the time.
    Thanks!

3. Debbi September 23, 2013 at 10:40 pm #

I have been diagnosed with GERD and have been taking acid reflux meds for several years. I started our with 300 mg of ranitidine . this worked fora few years but then I started feeling like i was choking so the doctor switched me to omeprazole. That didn’t help so a month or so later i was switched to my current medication…pantoprazole 40 mg daily. I am overweight but my biggest concern is that i’m losing my hair…lots of hair! My thyroid test came back normal but thinking back to when i initially noticed some hair loss, it was only a couple months after starting the pantoprazole. Could it be related? also, at my last checkup I had lost a quarter of an inch in height. I know it sounds silly and incredibly foolish, since I know i should be concerned about high blood pressure and heart disease but what really scares me is being a short, bald woman!!

• Zabelisa September 23, 2013 at 11:36 pm #

I used to take antacids like candy and it ruined my stomach. Now when I have an occasional reflux, I just chew on some toasted almonds, eat a green apple or eat some seasoned pumpkin seeds. It works wonders. Like Dr. Hyman says, find the cause – perhaps consult a naturopath who knows about nutrition – and get rid of all those acid reflux medications – they do not help on the long run. They aggravate the problem by masking the symptoms, if at all. You don’t have to starve to lose weight, just make some changes in your diet and reduce stress with some form of physical activity. Losing hair is often a sign of toxicity, auto-immune disorder or lack of a mineral in your diet. Just google “causes of hair loss in women” and you will find a lot of info as to the possible causes. Good luck to you!

4. Gina September 23, 2013 at 11:02 pm #

Hello. I suffered from GERD, which seems to be reflux on steroids. I had chest pains and trouble breathing. I took Prevacid briefly, which got rid of both but I did not want to take pills and risk having side effects. I cut out tomato, fries foods, etc. I also purchased a vitamix and started making green drinks daily. Thankfully, it calmed my GERD and I no longer have to take a daily decongestant to prevent sinus attacks.

5. Tiffany September 23, 2013 at 11:48 pm #

Here’s what frustrates me about my reflux-I am a runner and do Crossfit, do not smoke, drink only water, tested neg for h. pylori, weigh 115 @ 5’6″, do not eat spicy or tomato foods and take probiotics every day–yet I still have to take Prevacid 30 mg daily or I will feel like there is a boulder in my throat and a volcano in my gut! Aside from supplements (that aren’t cheap by the way) what else is there to do??

• Joel September 24, 2013 at 2:14 am #

1. Determine the cause,
      2. Eliminate it
      by seeing 2 or 3 NDs (there are very few MDs like Dr Hyman), and doing what they agree on.

• jana September 24, 2013 at 5:37 pm #

Tiffany you likely have a magnesium deficiency — which is CAUSED by the Prevacid that you take… and as you can see in Dr. Hyman’s article, lack of magnesium can cause reflux. Yes, it’s a vicious circle (which is very profitable for the pharmaceutical company). Proton pump inhibitor (PPI) drugs (like Prevacid) can cause serious adverse effects (e.g. doubling the risk of bone fracture). But people get “hooked” on proton pump inhibitor drugs because they can cause “rebound hyperacidity” (worse reflux) for a week or so if you try to stop taking them (which is likely why you say you will feel a “volcano in your gut” if you don’t take Prevacid daily), so people are afraid to stop taking them, so they stay on PPI drugs (a vicious circle which is oh so profitable for the drug co). BUT here’s the key point: FYI that “rebound” reflux is only TEMPORARY — research has shown that it lasts for only a week or two — it goes away by the 3rd week.. so suggest that you try some of Dr. Hyman’s suggestions for remedies to relieve the symptoms… that could help you get through that temporary “withdrawal-like” period of a week or so after you discontinue the PPI drug (Prevacid)… and then help you stay off that drug. You would be wise to get off the PPI drug because of all the problems it could cause you cumulatively down the road.

6. Dottie Green September 23, 2013 at 11:56 pm #

Before I eat any food in the morning, I drink a tea with water boiled with pieces of fresh ginger. To my cup I add probiotic tea bag, green tea bag, 1 tsp Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar, 1 tsp vitamin C crystals, 1 tsp raw agave, and 1 tsp ground ginger.
    After my tea, I eat 1 raw apple and or pear.
    During the day I may have Kombucha after a heavy meal. Rarely do I suffer with acid reflux if I keep up my regiment.

7. Gloria G Cole September 24, 2013 at 12:05 am #

I used to have it but I don’t any more. I think what really fixed it was cleaning up the fats in my diet.

8. Mary F. Hall September 24, 2013 at 12:12 am #

Hi,
    I am wondering about your thoughts re two old home remedies? 1) a little apple cider vinegar in water before each meal or 2) a little lemon juice and red (cayenne) pepper in a glass of water before you eat.

Mary

9. Art Lange September 24, 2013 at 12:14 am #

The cause of reflux for me was drinking water with my meals. I found that if I drink water about ten minutes or more before eating, the water quickly empties from my stomach. Then when I eat, I refrain from drinking any more water until my stomach has emptied, about 1 hour. If I drink water during the meal, I can get reflux. It seems to have something with the water diluting the acid in my stomach when drinking water with a meal. Water during a meal seems to preventing the PH to get to a sufficient level in the stomach for the food to be digested properly, so the stomach does not empty until the acid level is correct, resulting in bloating and reflux. No water with meals and no more reflux. Life is good.

10. larry September 24, 2013 at 12:19 am #

an apple amazingly takes away acid reflux!

11. ED BAILEY September 24, 2013 at 12:21 am #

MY WIFE AND HER SISTER BOTH CURED THEIR GERD PROBLEMS BY TAKING MSM. ADDITIONALLY HER SISTER WAS ABLE TO GET OFF THE ANTIDEPRESSANT WELLBUTRIN (AFTER MANY YEARS OF BEING ON IT) BY TAKING MSM AND VIT C. SHE HAD TRIED SEVERAL TIMES TO QUIT PRIOR TO TRYING MSM BUT EACH TIME WAS UNABLE TO GET OUT OF BED IN THE MORNING AND HAD NO ENERGY. SHE ALSO FOUND THAT THE ARTHRITIS IN HER FINGERS DISAPPEARED. IN MY OWN CASE MSM (DOSING FOR 2 YEARS) GREATLY REDUCED THE ARTHRITIS IN MY LEFT KNEE TO THE POINT I CAN NOW SPRINT FOR 30 SECOND INTERVALS, WHERAS 6 YEARS AGO I WAS LIMPING AROUND THE GOLF COURSE. ANOTHER FRIEND CANCELLED HER KNEE REPLACEMENT AFTER TAKING MSM AND VIT C.
    DR JACOB ET AL. IN HIS BOOK “MSM THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE” TREATED NUMEROUS PATIENTS WITH OA WITH GOOD RESULTS

12. Cheryl September 24, 2013 at 1:15 am #

What is MSM?

13. Patty September 24, 2013 at 1:26 am #

I have been taking Aciphex for years. I’ve tried to stop it but every time I do I get terrible stomach pains after a few days off it. I’ve tryied changing my diet, I am dairy free and try to minimize gluten. And I take a pro-biotic and other vitamins. I rarely eat fried foods or spicy foods. But I just can’t seem to stop this medication. My doctor has said to me, just stop taking it and see what happens. But I feel like my stomach is addicted to the Aciphex and would like to find a doctor that could help me stop taking this medication. Since I’ve been on it I’ve increased my vitamin D and calcium, to keep those in line. I developed pre-diabetes, even though I’m not over weight, my doctor does not want me to loose any more weight, since I’ve reduced my sugar intake I keep loosing weight. Do you have any suggestions?

14. Deborah September 24, 2013 at 1:31 am #

I started getting heartburn after every meal. My doctor prescribed antacids – they helped a bit. (An endoscopy showed mild inflammation in the stomach.) After reading all the potential long term problems that antacids could cause I stopped taking them. I started to do some research and discovered that heartburn is sometimes caused by low stomach acid. Now I take an enzyme supplement that contains HCL with every meal and hardly ever get heartburn.

15. Katherine September 24, 2013 at 1:40 am #

What is the best way to get off of an acid blocking medication after fives years of taking it?
    Should the current dosage be decreased gradually?
    Are supplemental enzymes useful for this?

Thank you for any experiences with this!

16. Michele September 24, 2013 at 2:00 am #

I was recently diagnosed with a hiatal hernia (sliding, I believe). I’m told this is what’s causing my reflux. I’m wondering, if the hernia is causing the reflux, would these solutions still work? I know some of my choices certainly don’t help (e.g., eating late due to late night at work), but does the hiatal hernia “doom” me to reflux & meds?
    Thanks for your feedback!

17. John Bresnik September 24, 2013 at 2:13 am #

I fixed my problem by sleeping on an inclined bed – head six inches above the feet (a five degree angle). The whole bed is inclined — not just from the waist up. See “inclined bed therapy”…

18. Marly Wexler September 24, 2013 at 2:20 am #

Dr Hyman

What an informative and generous presentation.
    My question is this… I know that Licorice can raise blood pressure, so I’m curious if you mention this somewhere else , so that those who choose to use it as a result of seeing this presentation, and have elevated blood pressure, will know to use it with caution

19. Kristin September 24, 2013 at 2:24 am #

Your house call was very helpful. I have a long history of reflux, H pylori, bacterial overgrowth, use of nexium, Advair for asthma, and many antibiotics. I am now off all of medication and trying very hard to reestablish healthy flora in my gut with diet and probiotics. I have been off gluten and dairy for 5 years. I recently started DGL before meals and digestive enzymes. I continue to have a lot of belching, throat and chest pain. A recent endoscopy showed a normal esphagus. I am pretty sure that I have candida yet have seen many doctors and they do not concur. I have been trying a strict candida diet and a homeopathic remedy that contained candida but experienced severe die off. My question is what is your treatment approach to candida and how do I test for it to know I have it for sure? Also, can candida cause chest pain if it is in the lungs? I would love a candida house call!

20. Diana September 24, 2013 at 2:26 am #

I did have a big problem with acid reflux. I lost 30 lbs and don’t have much reflux except I do suspect when I am asleep that I have acid creeping up at night. My throat is often irritated when I get up in the morning. The “purple” pill caused me to have several cramps at night in my calves and feet-all night. Acid relief was not worth the pain I experienced.

21. K September 24, 2013 at 2:48 am #

Food allergies were the cause for me… when eliminating them, I can eat anything without reflux—even shortly before retiring. Testing was necessary because I had so many food allergies, I could not tell with elimination diets.

Pepper was a major issue (black or white) that caused reflux and gastroenteritis throughout its travel through my body, but other food allergies always could be counted on to cause reflux unless waiting fully six hours to retire. Pepper was especially difficult to avoid because the FDA does not require listing of “spices” individually and I found that I simply had to avoid any packaged food that did not list all ingredients including the spices. Now I am free of the problem unless I have not found out what is in the food. I also have learned to question at restaurants carefully about ingredients. Some waiters dismiss my questions initially (thinking that only a little could not hurt, or being completely ignorant themselves of what is in the food) until I indicate to them that I will become VERY ILL if (pepper or whatever) is in my food. I have found that making a gesture suggesting that I will vomit at the table if there is any (whatever ingredient) in my meal—makes the most dismissive waiter go ask the cook!) It takes learning what one may eat at each restaurant, but it sure is worth it. Over the years it has become easier to get restaurants to adjust meals around allergies. Good restaurants that make things from scratch are the easiest to ask for preparation without (whatever). Fast food chain restaurants are not able to adjust meals, their foods come with all the additives and ingredients present. I never eat at them.

You failed to mention that the damage from reflux to the esophagus and the tissues subjected to reflux is suspected as a cause of cancer of those tissues. This is a serious problem, not just an annoying one.

22. Madlynn September 24, 2013 at 2:58 am #

Your house calls are spot on! I have had GERD for 20 yrs and have taken different acid blockers for that long, doing what drs said would “help” or rid the acid reflux. You are so right to tell your readers the ppi’s aren’t the answer. I just wish I had known this years ago. I have developed so many problems from the use of these drugs but didn’t know they were from their use. I now realize that I have leaky gut(from your blogs&excellent information). I also am having a terrible battle with candida all through my digestive system mouth, & esophagus. I am having food sensitivities, sugar cravings, itchy skin and many other symptoms of yeast overgrowth. But just like many other patients I have been to several mainstream doctors to get help. No help there! They refuse to accept the candida suspicion and evidence I present with. I have found a functional med dr I am working with but and have taken 1 week of diflucan because the nystatin swish wasnt powerful enough. I haven’t seen any of the posts about how severe the mouth candida can be. IT IS HORRIBLE, burns all the time, roof of mouth feels blistered, bumps on tongue, causes itchy, stinging skin, but yet when drs look in mouth and don’t see white patches they don’t think it’s a candida problem! It can be and in fact IS ! Your information seems to be the most helpful but I have found the drs don’t want to recognize bacterial overgrowth and yeast problems due to PPI use. There is a direct link, and my bad/ good bacteria is severely unbalanced because of their use. I have no idea how long it will take me to get this sunder control with a candida diet, probitics and several supplements. Will I ever be rid of this??

23. kim September 24, 2013 at 3:11 am #

Carbs, like bread, pasta, rice seem to give me reflux.
    When I went on the Ultra Simple Diet in June, the acid reflux disappeared!!

24. Marsha September 24, 2013 at 3:18 am #

I have heard from so many people that it is really healthy to begin the day with warm water and the juice of 1/2 to 1 lemon. If we are to eliminate all citrus, I am assuming this means this is not a good practice? Anyone know? It supposedly alkalizes the blood.

25. Marlene September 24, 2013 at 3:27 am #

I too suffered from h pylori (no longer have it) and reflux for several years and have been prescribed Prilosec. Since I have been diagnosed with osteoporosis I am very nervous using a ppi. As well, I don’t want to mess with my digestive processes. My gastroenterologist has agreed that I should take them for at least ten days when my symptoms get bad. After reading all the above comments, I realize that I have tried almost everything mentioned but am happy to learn that there’s more I can do. I will report back after trying Zinc Carnosine and the Glutamine, Aloe and Licorice combination. It was really helpful to read all the reader’s comments. Thank you.

26. Kathy T September 24, 2013 at 3:47 am #

What about for how to treat infants? 6 month old, normal birth, breastfed baby. mom is gluten, dairy, peanut and egg free. Going soy free soon. Baby arches his back, pulls off the breast repeatedly when he eats, which is every 1.5 hrs-2 hrs. Seems to be in a lot of pain, cries hard, very runny poops (no blood), some spit up but not a lot. Lots of arching and pain. Seems to cycle…several weeks of the pulling on and off nursing, then several weeks of ok, to repeat again.

Just came home from visit to Pediatric GI Dr. He says it’s Sandiford Syndrome and wants to put baby on Zantac for several months. Do not want to do this, but don’t want the baby in pain, either.
    Thoughts?

27. Sherri September 24, 2013 at 4:49 am #

I was diagnosed with silent reflux (it damages the upper part of your esophagus, but you never or rarely have heartburn) in May. I was started on a PPI which helped tremendously. Concurrently, I also eliminated all fried foods, carbonated beverages of any kind, caffeine, chocolate, citrus, and tomatoes. After two months, my GI doctor did a scope to test for H. pylori and make sure there wasn’t any more permanent damage to my esophagus, stomach, or duodenum. The scope was normal, and he suggested that I start weaning myself off the PPI while still maintaining the dietary changes. I cut my dose of PPI in half for one month, then went off it all together. I’ve been off it for a month and feel great. I’ve maintained the dietary restrictions but have tested the waters here and there to see what bothers me. Tomatoes are definitely a trigger for me, so pizza is out. Chocolate in small amounts seems to be okay. The best approach to treating reflux, I believe, is making the necessary dietary and lifestyle changes. Why would I want to take a pill to fix something when I can do it naturally and not risk all the horrible side effects of the medicine? It’s a no brainer and can be done with a little self control and support from those around you.

28. Fran Hirst September 24, 2013 at 5:02 am #

I had 100% cure of my acid reflux with Inner HealthPlusProbiotics, I encourage everyone with acid reflux to try a probiotic.it is so worth it.

29. Marianna Keyser September 24, 2013 at 7:13 am #

Over and obove all the steps which have been mentioned, I have found a miracle cure called Siberian pine nut oil ” the Other Option”. I would encourage anyone to try it. It has really helped for all my digestive ailments.

• Maria September 25, 2013 at 11:34 pm #

Marianna, please tell me how you took the Siberian Pinenut Oil. Any specific brand. This is the 1st time I heard about this oil from all the readings I did surfing the internet.

30. emma September 24, 2013 at 8:49 am #

My boyfriend gets reflux when he eats a lot of starches which suggests to me that he has a yeast overgrowth.

31. Sandra September 24, 2013 at 10:34 am #

After having knee replacement surgery, I was on an antibiotic for a very short time. I started feeling nauceous very gassy and full after eating anything. No matter what I tried eating I was burping for hours afterwards. Doctor suggested Florstor which I will start today, eating small meals, and watching my fats. I always try to eat low carb so it’s not carbs. Need more suggestions as I feel awful. Have lost 10 pounds so that is good, but this is not normal. Any ideas?

32. Susie September 24, 2013 at 10:36 am #

Thank you so very much for this! I was just diagnosed with a hiatal hernia causing gastritis and/or reflux. I totally get your suggestions! I will be implementing the gluten free, etc. What about the hernia? What do I do about that. Will the diet help I spite of it.

33. Lynn123 September 24, 2013 at 12:05 pm #

Wow. A lot of suffering going on out there with digestive issues. I got gastritis a couple years ago-awful stuff. It finally went away. I was on PPI’s off and on. Horrible indigestion also-took many a Tum. I finally worked with a holistic healer who said to get off the PPI’s. She had me drinking warm lemon water each morning first thing, no wheat or dairy (I know that’s a hard thing to do.) I was off all alcohol and coffee, only herbal teas for a couple months. Basically, I was eating fish, meat, eggs, veggies, a little fruit, various smoothies. I took various supplements she recommended to help with the problem.

I have figured out that aloe juice is helpful if your stomach hurts. I now have to avoid coffee period, unfortunately. I also can’t do liquor or beer. Red wine seems to not bother me, thankfully! lol Anyway, I’ll be glad to give you her name if you want to work with her. She’s extremely reasonable and easy to work with over the internet or by phone. She really did help me when I was feeling quite desperate about the problems. I probably sound like a commercial, but it was SO helpful to have someone to work with you intensely about your health. You don’t get that attention re the details from your doctor. They just prescribe the pill-you then go home and read about scary side-effects, your stomach still hurts, etc.

Oh, I can also say that it can be quite complicated to really figure out what you are eating that is causing the problem. So I’m still working on that. Good luck to all of us!

34. Mark September 24, 2013 at 12:30 pm #

After about 10 years of Reflux and PPI’s, weight loss, taking a daily probiotic, and switching to a whole-foods, plant-based diet has done the trick for me. I now have absolutely no reflux and have been off my PPI’s for 6 months. I now find that foods that used to bother me (spicey foods, tomato based foods) are no longer a problem and I have been able to add them back into my diet. What a joy it is to enjoy eating again and to be pain free!

• shanbhag manjunath September 24, 2013 at 1:04 pm #

While thanking you for the most useful medical information, could you guide whether heavy burping sometimes too frequent noisy and violent particularly after heavy food too is a part of the acid reflux or something different? Also whether all citrus fruits like grapes, lemon, oranges and sweet lime always cause acid reflux? I always thought tomatoes are antioxident, but you have a different but of course better and learned view. Also i got tremendous relief from acid reflux by consuming cold/cool milk and ice cream, but that relief is elusive and not real? Many thanks once again.

35. jennifer September 24, 2013 at 12:51 pm #

I have a question. My daughter suffers from tummy aches and more recently acid reflux. The acid reflux began after giving her a heavy dose of probiotics. My question is why? The tummy aches stopped, but the acid reflux began. Anxiety runs in our family. She is sensitive to gluten and dairy and has also been complaining of soreness under her armpits and pain down her left arm. She has a tendency towards constipation and it is difficult for her to ground herself. When she gets tired she has a tendency to wind up rather than wind down. Thank you for any input. She is 5

36. ANNE TWINE September 24, 2013 at 12:56 pm #

I started with AReflux after I went through the menopause. I thought it was because my muscles lost condition. It tends to affect my breathing which I notice when going up hills. I was wrongly diagnosed with asthma. Then I was put on the pills. I didn’t want that so looking at my diet I separated the proteins from the carbs which I do 80% of the time. This helps most of the time. I have just had another session of AR again and have decided to cut out gluten. I have other symptoms of gas and bloating. I think it is bad bugs but my doctor won’t test for anything as she says the tests aren’t full proof. I can’t afford a functional doctor so I am just plodding along.

37. Sandra September 24, 2013 at 1:03 pm #

Everyone always suggests taking probiotics, but taking probiotics made my acid reflux 10 times worse. It was so bad I was burping and coughing every 2 minutes after everything I ate for hours. It even caused me to not be able to swallow, lost 20 pounds in 3 weeks from not being able to eat. I had no choice, but to go on ppi’s twice a day. It took 8 weeks on prevacid for me to be able to eat somewhat normally again. Has any one ever had such a reaction to probiotics? Or know why probiotics would cause such a reaction?

38. hilary September 24, 2013 at 1:13 pm #

I have suffered from acid reflux for 5 – 6 years now. Prilosec does help if I’m having a bad bout with it but my problem is, I’ve been tested for many of the normal triggers– celiac, dairy etc with no results. Many of my doctors were so certain I had an intolerance to gluten that I was tested for celiac 3 separate times. I’ve been able to pinpoint strong triggers and cut them from my diet– ceviche (citrus), hot dogs and heavy cream sauces, but there’s little consistency which indicates I should cut dairy or cut citrus– because things like milk and yogurt make me feel good. Things like oranges and lemon sauce sit fine with me. It’s just a learning process but I’ve found, despite years of cutting out entire groups like you outlined above, it really is a food by food issues and not necessarily a generalization about an entire group. Stress is always a big contributor as well and can exacerbate even a mild reflux situation.

39. Rosanne September 24, 2013 at 1:27 pm #

I’ve had reflux for years. It began with gall bladder issues, and I had my gall bladder removed. I’ve had issues ever since as I had complications with the surgery. I used to take prilosec every day, but not only did I start having anxiety issues and heart palpitations/chest pain, but I also became very anemic as I couldn’t absorb iron. I had to have iron infusions which are very expensive. I knew I had to figure out what the problem was.

One thing people need to understand is that during the first couple days off an acid blocker, they will experience acid rebound. It’s kind of like when you push a ball under the water and it finally gets away from you and shoots into the air – this is what the acid does after it is no longer blocked. It does settle down, but I know I got really discouraged until I learned this.

First, I found my triggers like fried foods, processed foods, etc. I lost some weight which also helped. I put a wedge under the head of my bed. I also take magnesium, digestive enzymes and bile salts (since I don’t have a gall bladder). I take zinc carnosine any time I take any kind of tylenol/ibuprofren. Those kinds of pills bother my stomach a lot and aggravate the reflux. I also do yoga to relax and stretch and do daily brisk walks. I do not eat at least 4 hours before bed, and I try not to eat my heaviest meal at dinnertime unless I’m going to be up and moving. I removed a lot of gluten type foods and greatly cut back on sugar (which can feed bad bugs in your gut) from diet as well and feel much better. Another weird side effect that resolved after stopping the prilosec and gluten/sugar stuff (and I never connected until afterwards) was joint pain. This weekend my parents had their 50th wedding anniversary and I ate a lot of sugar/gluten. I felt like someone had beat me up on Monday morning. It was like a sugar/gluten hangover! I do still on occasion need to take an antacid before bed, but I’m still working toward no pills at all.

40. Zee September 24, 2013 at 2:04 pm #

I was prescribed Previcid last week to take because I just started taking Tecfidera for MS. Supposedly, the bad side effects from the Tecfidera will not last past three months, so I should not need acid reducer medication forever. My question is whether taking Previcid or Zantac twice a day for a few months will do much harm. Should I try some other more natural remedy to get through this initial phase of my MS treatment?

41. Kim Carpenter September 24, 2013 at 2:26 pm #

Hi Dr. Hyman,
    I have been on Protonix for a very long time. When I tried to stop it I experienced a lot of reflux which, I believe, is normal. I gave up and went back on the drug. I have now lost weight and am ready to try to stop the drug again. Can you give me any advice on transitioning off and an estimate on how long the “normal” increase in reflux I can expect so that I will be prepared for how long I need to tough it out?
    thanks
    Kim

42. Liz Mueller September 24, 2013 at 4:52 pm #

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and I take Methotrexate every Monday. Since I started on the Methotrexate I have had Acid Reflux, nausea, stomach cramps, headaches, etc. The doctor wants me to take Prilosec. I told him that this medication causes bone fractures and he told me I had to sacrifice something. I couldn’t bring myself to take the Prilosec. I have been using Papaya enzymes and Deglycyrrhizinated licorice, and ginger for the nausea. The doctor let me lower my does of Methotrexate to 4 pills a week and he added more Folic Acid, and it has helped but I still have the reflux. I also have an underactive thyroid and I take Synthroid for that. I had blood work done for food sensitivities and have been following the diet. A glass of water can start the reflux or even exercising. I don’t know what else to do to get rid of the reflux, besides getting off the Methotrexate. And I’m afraid to do that because my inflammation has gone way down and the arthritis is doing so much better. And the doctor told me if I didn’t take the RA medicine I would end up in a wheelchair. Can you suggest something else I can do to get rid of the reflux. Any information would be appreciated.

43. Sharon September 24, 2013 at 5:51 pm #

After 20+ years of taking medicine and trying to eliminate all possible food issues, I found that by eliminating fake oils like vegetable oil, canola oil, etc. and eating a paleo diet, i.e., no processed foods, I eliminated all heartburn and reflux. But I didn’t eliminate my heartburn and reflux until I eliminated fake oils. I can eat bacon, coconut oil, butter, foods fried in these oils and I do NOT get any heartburn or reflux! Give it a try….

44. Jason September 24, 2013 at 6:54 pm #

If I drink too much water and do not consume enough salt, the food that I eat will not leave my stomach. It will sit in there for hours. I cannot drink water with my meals. I found that taking betaine HCl with pepsin really helps my acid reflux. In addition, I started taking a multi mineral with my dinner, and I think that helps. Finally, I have decreased my water consumption during the day and increased my salt consumption, which has helped immensely.

Therefore, I believe lack of stomach acid is the major contributor to reflux. Taking betaine HCl and multi mineral with meals, decreasing water consumption, and increasing salt consumption has helped my reflux tremendously.

45. Mark Joyce September 24, 2013 at 8:54 pm #

Took Amoeprazole (?) for over twenty years. Started eating vegan eight months ago. Lost 45 pounds, take B12 and probiotic every day. Not one symptom remains. Still drink coffee. Still smoke cigars without inhaling. Still like spicy foods. For me, I think it was dairy, gluten and extra pounds around the middle.

46. Diana September 24, 2013 at 9:40 pm #

Hi Dr Hyman thank you for your housecalling videos which are short and informative. I wanted to ask you to talk about heart attacks and the causes and how to stayout of that zone. It just seems so common these days. I recently moved into a neighborhood and got to know a neighbor and his wife through the persons whose house I am staying at. They have become good friends since beginning of year when they (couple whose house I am staying at) moved into the neighborhood. Well the husband (neighbor had a heart attack a few weeks ago and underwent surgery where a new valve was fitted. He is now at home recuperating and am a little bit concerned about him. It’s interesting as well as it seems when patients undergo such operations they don’t spend very long in the hospitals. So are you able to talk about that topic in your next housecall. What is the best way of managing the healing process after the operation. I look forward to your visit and keep up the good work. I live in London UK. Best regards Diana

47. Ellen HIcks September 24, 2013 at 11:43 pm #

Every year for the past 12 years I’ve developed seasonal acid reflux in September and October (I live the Midwest). Among the things that have noticeably helped me have been not eating within 3 hours of going to bed; chewing my food exceptionally well and making sure enough saliva is mixed with each bite of food before I swallow; not wearing anything tight around my chest or waist; and sitting up straight when eating. One last thing which I discovered just 3 weeks ago is toothpaste. I’d been suspecting a connection for some time. I went on-line to see if I could find anyone else mentioning it, and I found there were a whole lot of other people with the same suspicion. In one forum, a number of people said they’d found that Colgate Total was adding to their problem. Guess what I was using. Colgate Total. So, I switched to Tom’s of Maine SLS free (with flouride). Since I switched 3 weeks ago, I’ve not had any incidents of acid reflux. Yeah! Even though seasonal allergins are probably a factor in my case, it looks like certain brands of toothpaste are, too.

48. shanbhag manjunath September 25, 2013 at 12:30 am #

I am aged 68 and a heart patient having undergone by-pass surgery in Nov.2010. I take statin and aspirin everyday and keep my LDL low though my Triglyceride is above normal around 200 when last checked. Before my heart problem, from a very young age I used to have acid reflux. After I stopped/reduced consumption of fried food and particularly food with ingredient of tamarind my acid reflux reduced substantially. Nowadays I get such problem only when I consume fried food. But what I am a little worried about is continuous belching/burping after taking food, may be sometimes a little more than necessary, and such burping/belching is too disturbing not only to me but even others sitting by my side, due to the fact that it is quite loud and disgusting. I am wondering whether it is also due to acid reflux in a different style. Also I get reflux when I consume some sweet food some of which are not oil based. I tried with Digene/Ranitidine (medicines of Indian Pharma Companies) and found them to be not very useful. My main worry now is acid reflux of the belching variety. I am sorry if I am sounding too much off the target of present discussion. I must conclude with a very sincere thanks for your fantastic guidance to go to the root of the problem and avoid unwanted medication. THANKS A LOT.

49. Maria September 25, 2013 at 6:14 am #

A transnasal endoscopy was taken by a PA, and she found there was cyst, inflammation & lots of mucous on my vocal cord. Is this a result of laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR)? Any connection? I was on omeprazole for at least 2 years but decided that I should just get off it because of the side effects. Since then I’ve been taking manuka honey 2x/day 1 hr. before meals. I don’t experience reflux – I meditate but not often enough, eat organic veggies and fruits, take carrot-apple-ginger juice alternately with kale-spinach-apple-ginger-celery juice, no fried or processed foods, avoid acidic foods (when before I would get inflammations on my tongue & gums when I ate acidic foods), no peppers, chocolate, citrus, tomatoes. I’d like to get to the point of being able to eat pizza and chocolates again. I will try the DGL you propose, Dr. Hyman. My reflux stemmed from stress and napping right after eating a 15-minute dinner where I gulped in my food, and listening to the constant chatter in my head. Dr. Hyman, you never mentioned manuka honey. Don’t you believe it can get to the root cause of my LPR? I totally agree with you that PPIs just mask the problem. Thank you for your very helpful videos! There are a lot of doctors who’ll just collect their fees & won’t take that extra step beyond their schooling but you’re a doctor who truly cares!

50. Cindy September 25, 2013 at 12:44 pm #

Just started watching your House Call blog. I’m finding the information very concise, helpful and informative. I have some form of reflux that presents itself with chest pain that is very similar to what I think heart pain is. I’ve had the “million dollar work up”. This is what they think the problem is. Listening to your video, I learned that chronic stress can cause reflux. I just suffered a devastating loss of the worst kind and realize that is probably the reason my reflux has returned. So I’m thinking deep breathing type meditation often thru out the day may really help me. They prescribed diltiazem but I rarely take because of the side affects. So thank you for the info.

• Rich September 25, 2013 at 3:41 pm #

I’m 29 years old and have had acid reflux for about 7 years now. I have been diagnosed with GERD and it has been very difficult to cope with. I have gone through many doctors and many prescriptions (omeprazole / prilosec, dexilant, nexium, etc) but nothing seems to work. I have yet to have a doctor mention H. Plyori or a gluten allergy, which makes me suspicious. I’ve done my best to cut out trigger foods, but I have acid reflux almost 24/7. I’m sure it’s partly related to stress, but my endoscopies and nasal scopes suggest that I have silent GERD or LPR. Basically, I’m at a loss and don’t know what to do at this point.. I’m only 29 and feel pretty hopeless.

51. Barbara Tucker September 25, 2013 at 4:46 pm #

Don’t triggers for acid reflux include ingesting chocolate, colas and carbonated beverages? Laryngopharyngeal reflux can be misdiagnosed as acid reflux.

52. Pam Ogden September 25, 2013 at 6:11 pm #

I am in my mid 50’s and for over the past year have had almost daily bouts with reflux. I worked in the medical industry for 25+ yrs and am very knowledgeable about holistic& alternative medicine. For the past several years I felt basically lousy & had to take a serious look at what was going on. I gained 20lbs (eating out, processed foods, hardly any veggies & fruit & 2 servings of ice cream before bedtime). I no longer walked or exercised, arthritis set in my joints (esp hands), i was stressed, my mindset needed a total shift…I became sick & tires of being sick & tired. In the past 3 mo’s I dropped 15lbs by giving up gluten, replaced ice cream w/popcorn (4 nights), eat very little dairy products & red meat, rarely eat y anything processed. Result “No reflux”. PSS by giving up gluten & starchy veggies I naturally lost the bloat & weight. I also incorporated tapping in to my regiment.

53. William Zadorsky September 26, 2013 at 10:44 am #

Acid reflux disappeared the day I decided to drop “the wheat.” Since eliminating all processed foods made with wheat the problem of heartburn and acid reflux became a thing of the past.

54. Joe T September 26, 2013 at 10:43 pm #

I had terrible reflux. Increased exercise helped as did meditation. But I really sealed the deal when I stopped eating wheat and then complex carbohydrates. I had no dairy in my diet anyway and I don’t drink alcohol. Caffeine was a problem which I’m off of now.
    I eat loads of salad, broccoli, cabbage and other veggies. And yesterday was my first day of no decaf coffee or tea.
    I’m drinking jasmine tea and other herbals. I didn’t do all of this at once. I kept working on it and failing (or relapsing is probably more like it). But I feel so good now I’m sticking to it and loving it.j
    Good luck everyone!

55. Cherrill Moshier September 29, 2013 at 11:51 pm #

I quit smoking after 20 years, just before we moved out of state. I gained 40 lbs in a very short period of time. Within a year, I developed Acid Reflux, but didn’t have it diagnosed until 5 years later after moving to another state. I have been living in this state for 30 years and take Prilosec. I worry about the side effects and would like to quit taking it. I’ve tried Ginger Root, and some other things, but have not found a good relief as of yet. I’m convinced the weight gain caused the problem, because when I lost 25 lbs when my husband died, I felt better. I have gained the weight back, plus.
    I’m willing to try anything that will help me in a natural way. No more pills for me.

56. Michael Lee September 30, 2013 at 2:37 am #

Acid reflux causes cancer of the esophagous! Mine was silent. Mostly at night due to the weak valve at the top of my stomach. My Doc recomended a SLEEPING WEDGE!! It works great and my wife says it sloved my SNORING problem too!! There is no turning the clock back on that one!! 🙂

57. Robert Eastman September 30, 2013 at 6:17 am #

The thing that absolutely works for me every time is … eating an orange or lemon… or a spoonful or 2 of lemon juice (though not quite as fast or effective). Usually within 1 to 2 minutes I’m totally relieved and feeling fine. Though people want to argue with me about it being an impossible solution to “their problem”… many times I get reports back of “amazing results.”

I believe that one of the main culprits is the habit of … “Inhaling barely chewed food!” When our minds are consumed with distractions (like watching movies/TV or playing video-games) while we’re eating… we tend to gulp down our food whole (along with “pockets of air”) causing indigestion. Our saliva must saturate our food before we swallow it in order to have “good digestion” and that can only happen by completely chewing it. Do Not Swallow un-chewed food chunks! This is also a great tip for losing weight. Eating slower and chewing more, results in feeling more satisfied/fuller, while consuming less food… as long as the food is actually nutritious!
    Obesity IS Caused by “Malnutrition!” (IMO)

58. Sicl September 30, 2013 at 7:02 pm #

Hiatal Hernia

59. Natalia September 30, 2013 at 7:07 pm #

I’ve suffered from acid reflux for a long time and was one of those people taking the purple pill. That is until I did Dr Hyman’s Ultra Simple Diet challenge. After the diet, I have continued to eat within the parameters of the USD and in three months I’ve only had heartburn a couple of days and it has resolved itself without my needing to take anti acid medication. This diet and this way of eating have been a life saver for me…. I am so grateful for all the teaching and information. I’ve been able to drop my allergy medication also. Couldn’t be happier

60. Glen September 30, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

I had it for more than 15 years. Then I replaced milk with soy on my breakfast cereal and that reduced it dramatically and instantly. Then I gave up cereal and soy (now I mash advocado with yoghurt and a little lemon juice, and add cherry tomatoes, for breakfast) and it has pretty well gone.

Also I drink plenty of water, if I get a touch of reflux water usually fixes it. I think I was habitually dehydrated, perhaps because I have a nervous bladder!

61. Maria October 1, 2013 at 1:13 am #

I would like to know where can I find a functional doctor in West Palm Beach????
    Help me with this information.

62. Brad October 7, 2013 at 1:27 am #

I take a capfull of apple cider vinegar in a 8 oz. glass of water before or during a meal.
    Started this at every meal and now only with dinner. I gave up taking the purple pill.

63. Barbara Bucher October 7, 2013 at 4:12 pm #

I have had reflux for several years. A couple of years ago, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and started using a C-Pap machine. I was not using it consistently every night but I soon noticed that when I used it, I did not have pain from reflux during the night and did not have to take Tums on those nights. I have no idea what the correlation is between the two. Any ideas?

64. ruth j toliver October 7, 2013 at 8:38 pm #

I was diagnosed in 20 11 with acid reflux. My doctor said it depression, muscle relaxant and muscle spasms since 1994. I was injured on the job spinal chord c3-c6 had three (3) surgeries. I was given 12 packs of prevacid 24 hours, it helped, but I didn’t understand the seriousness of it. I
    vomited last Friday morning and this morning after 1:30 a lot. I was in so much pain until about 11:00 am. Never tried any of the remedies listed that should help, but I will. I was so sick for over 3 weeks in 2011 where I couldn’t eat food tasted like garbage, water was slimy, hands clammy, couldn’t hold my urine and it had a bad smell. All i could do was lay in bed, had no strength when I got some strength and saw my doctor and explained my condition that was when I was told I had acid reflux,

65. Cherrill Moshier October 8, 2013 at 8:23 pm #

I started having a Reflux problem in 1978 when I moved out of state after quitting Smoking and gaining 40 lbs. I was always skinny, so the weight gain was a shock to me as well as the long distance move. I had it diagnosed about 6 years later after another long distance move. I used different pills until I got on Prilosec, then Nexium. I now use Prilosec and have found that tomato based foods give me the most trouble. I can eat Mexican foods with no problem. I don’t drink milk, but love Ice cream and cheese. The ice Cream gives me trouble if I eat it late in the day. I don’t eat after 5 pm. I worry about the long term results from this medicine and would like to use a natural cure. I lost 25 lbs after my husband passed on in 1995 , but have slowly gained it back. While I was thinner, I felt much better and believe the weight is the main reason for my discomfort. I find losing weight to be a big problem. So, now what? Thank You for your time reading this. Cherrill

66. Patty Burks October 9, 2013 at 3:13 pm #

I developed severe acid reflux in 2005 after my third dose of Adriamycin and Cytoxan for triple negative breast cancer. I had refused to take Prednisone with the chemo because I had become severely constipated with the first dose. My doctor tried 5 different medications before trying Nexium which, thankfully, relieved my symptoms. At that time my doctor told me that I would have to take Nexium 40 mg every day for the rest of my life. A year later an endoscopic exam of my esophagus and stomach did not show any physical evidence of damage. I do not drink or smoke, or drink anything caffeinated. I have found that taking Nexium I can tolerate most foods, except not much caffeine. I’ll get symptoms with the caffeine.

Should I have the reflux re-evaluated? If physical damage was done by the chemotherapy to the gastro-esophageal junction, is there really anything that can be done to “heal” this?

Of course, I have also heard that gastric reflux can progress to something very serious, like Bartlett’s esophagus, so I do not want to mess around with this. If, however, there is a reasonable chance I could stop taking Nexium without compromising my gastro-esophageal junction, I would be willing to try it.

67. THomas October 14, 2013 at 2:08 am #

I have found that taking Chia seed solved my stomach problems, Acid reflux is the one of the biggest money makers for the pharmaceutical industry and there are alternatives to using high cost medicines, a teaspoon of chia a day helped me, no harm in trying it small cost for relief.

68. Mark October 18, 2013 at 11:37 pm #

Your approach reinforces what I have been learning ever since I gave up going to GI docs a month ago. They had no answer to the fact that PPI’s actually caused my GERD to worsen to the point of debilitation. Or that alkaline water made things much worse as well. Remarkably, the latest GI found I had h pylori, but said it should help with GERD so he didn’t want to treat it. I finally went to an acupuncturist a month ago (this, after a decade and several endoscopies). She sent me to get a food allergy test, noting with exasperation that a doctor won’t test for that. Sure enough, I have a severe allergy to eggs. I am off eggs for a week and getting the bad bacteria dealt with.

Why do GI doctors avoid simple critical reasoning — and not look at root causes? This is so basic and intuitive, it beggars belief. Instead they use a surgical procedure and drug heavy approach that appears to get things upside down and backwards much of the time. It is surreal to think how wrong they are with this area….and no doubt many other areas as well. Health care reform needs to deal with these root causes as well…..

69. Matti Brown October 22, 2013 at 3:25 am #

Thank you so much for your sage advice. Here is another piece of info…
    I’ve switched to enteric-coated fish oil instead of the regular and viola! unbearable reflux is gone. I was taking 6,000 mgs a day for arthritis and would never have equated fish oil with reflux until someone at the gym told me she had hideous reflux caused by fish oil. It’s been two months now and I’m delighted to say I’m still reflux free.

70. Ray October 25, 2013 at 4:02 am #

Veteran heartburn guru, the flaming volcano… you name it I’ve dealt with it.

I read quite a few of what all you people had to write about this and my experience is a bit different. I’ve had trouble going poo-poo since about 2001. This was mentioned to my doc when I had the endoscopy and colonoscopy done in 2003.

Same ole advice… you have Gerd, beginning Barrett’s here’s a laundry list of drugs we can pour down you throat… tell us which one works then we’ll write you a prescription.

The first wonder was the little purple… two days at best he lasted…. protonix, zantac, pepsid ac, acciphex, malox chalk tabs, tums, rolaids spells – eat another rolaids.

At this point it would have been better to just take Sukitrol (TM) a placebo pill developed by me… $50 a pill designed to relieve pressure in your back pocket by deflating your wallet.

Is the doc expecting me to show up and say hey, none of these work… what are you a moron? Then give me a prescription for a gun and tell me to just go away?

This is the state of the medical system in the US. Buy a pill, take a pill, rinse and repeat.

Ok, seriously the jokes keep me sane… If I can’t get a laugh out of it what’s the point we are all going to die by something if this is the way for me then so be it.

But the doc just ignored my bowel problems….. now 10 years later all roads lead to the bathroom. It’s the only way to get relief. I find that if I take prunes regularly and drink a couple cups of coffee in the morning tends to get things moving.

For me I can eat just about anything except heavy bread like pan pizza dough… it’s a big no no. I think if I eat any more of that it may kill me the next time. Clog me up like a cork screw bent on revenge.

A lot of times I feel like going to the bathroom it’s very hard to go and sometimes it’s nothing more than gas. Bowels are very thin strands, stringy or just diarrhea.

I go see the same doc I saw 10 years ago in a few days. It’s time for him to face the music of his pill pushing ways and know his crap is not flying any more.

Probably won’t do much good unless I interest him in a case of Sukitrol maybe???
    The virus is already in side of you… so we need to suck it out with SUKITROL!

At $50 a pill… it’s going to shut you up and make you go away for good! The best part though is that it has NO SIDE EFFECTS… (contains water so you might drowned if you take too many. mmmwwhahahahaha )

71. Catherine October 28, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

What about the effect GMO/GE foods have on our gut and gut bacteria? I’d love to hear your thoughts.